Jussie Smollett Charged AGAIN Over Alleged Fake Chicago Attack

Written by Kecia Gayle February 12, 2020
Photo Credit: GIF

Jussie Smollett Charged AGAIN Over Alleged Fake Chicago Attack

Welp this is not good. According to the latest reports, Jussie Smollett has been indicted by a grand jury on six counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly lying to police about his 2019 attack. As we previously reported, the Empire actor filed a police report claiming he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack last year. Chicago PD believed that it was all a lie and that he actually orchestrated the attack.

RELATED: Donald Trump Compares Jussie Smollett ‘Scam’ To Impeachment

Following a six month investigation by special prosecutor Dan Webb, a Cook County grand jury handed down the new indictment on Tuesday. In a statement, Webb’s office said:

“The grand jury’s investigation revealed that Jussie Smollett planned and participated in a staged hate crime attack, and thereafter made numerous false statements to Chicago Police Department officers on multiple occasions, reporting a heinous hate crime that he, in fact, knew had not occurred.”

Smollett’s camp also issued a statement Tuesday night on the new indictment:

“This indictment raises serious questions about the integrity of the investigation that led to the renewed charges against Mr. Smollett, not the least of which is the use of the same CPD detectives who were part of the original investigation into the attack on Mr. Smollett to conduct the current investigation, despite Mr. Smollett’s pending civil claims against the City of Chicago and CPD officers for malicious prosecution. One of the two witnesses who testified before the grand jury is the very same detective Mr. Smollett is currently suing for his role in the initial prosecution of him.”

As we previously reported, Smollett told Chicago police back in January of 2019 that two white men physically attacked him and called him racial and homophobic slurs. But prosecutors had insisted Smollett faked the racist, anti-gay attack on himself in the hopes that the attention would advance his acting career. Smollett maintained that this all happened and eventually, all charges against him were dropped. In return, prosecutors said, the actor agreed to let the city keep his $10,000 in bail.

Smollett is due in court February 24 at the Criminal Court Building at 26th and California.

Press Play Below For More:

RELATED: Jussie Smollett Requests Chicago Lawsuit Be Moved To Federal Court

Source