New details about the shooting of first-grade teacher Abby Zwerner have emerged. As previously reported, Zwerner was shot by a six-year-old student at a Newport News elementary school last week.
RELATED STORIES: Teacher Who Was Shot By Six-Year-Old Boy Identified, Told Other Students To Run Away To Safety
During a press conference, Police Chief Steve Drew revealed that the.9 mm Taurus handgun used by Zwerner’s six-year-old student belonged to his mother, and he hid the weapon in his book bag. According to the New York Post, Zwerner was lecturing to her students when the boy pulled out a gun, pointed it at her, and fired one shot. While attempting to defend herself, the bullet passed through one of her hands and struck her chest.
A school employee who heard the gunshot while walking down the hall reportedly restrained the student who committed the shooting. Drew claimed that the student became hostile and struck a school employee while restrained. Police also contacted the boy’s parents, and he and his mother were interviewed. He was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment following the interview and is currently under a temporary detention order.
RELATED STORIES: Six-Year-Old Student Shoots Teacher At Virginia Elementary School
Drew also praised Zwerner for ensuring the safety of her other students during the shooting, noting that the handgun had more than one round.“I don’t know what all was going through that individual’s mind, but what I do know is that she made sure each of those kids were out of the room and she was the last one to leave.I believe she did save lives, because I don’t know what else might have happened if those kids would have stayed in that room,” he explained.
He is expected to appear before a judge within the next week and it is unknown if the boy’s parents will be charged for the crime as details are being discussed by local prosecutors. Zwerner’s condition has been reported to be serious but stable and school was closed on Monday.
Newport News Public Schools Superintendent George Parker III said it is unclear if the school will open again due to the ongoing investigation and possibly considering putting metal detectors in the city’s elementary schools.
Social media sends their thoughts and prayers to Zwerner and the school community.
As Zwerner continues to heal from her injury, Twitter users stood in solidarity to show their support and prayers for her speedy recovery. Other teachers also shared their experiences in the classroom as several scenarios can take place in the classroom.
Richneck Strong💚. Our prayers and support go out to Newport News Public Schools. pic.twitter.com/KyLdle0KwH
— Patricia Cuffee (@cuffeepatricia1) January 9, 2023
I spent 13 of my 30 years as a public educator teaching 1st grade in Newport News Public Schools. I was spit on, punched, have had tables flipped on me. I was cussed out and screamed at. I was also hugged and told ”I love you” more times than I can count.
— Kelly Kent (@constructivist4) January 7, 2023
I taught in Newport News years ago. Many of our students had challenges. I attended far too many funerals for young people due to gang violence. I visited students in jail. I loved my students & think of them often.
— Unredeemable (@thriftymaven) January 7, 2023
Newport News Public Schools.❤️ pic.twitter.com/JNuT4AHINw
— Sara Chiaverotti (@sckteach) January 6, 2023