Big movement out of Collin County, Texas this week. Judge John Roach Jr., the man who presided over Karmelo Anthony’s murder trial and sentencing, has officially been recused from the case going forward.
The decision came down this Wednesday morning from visiting Judge Sid Harle, who was brought in from San Antonio specifically to weigh whether Roach could stay impartial after everything that’s gone down since Anthony was sentenced to 35 years back in June.
For those just catching up, Anthony was convicted of murder in the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf, who was white, during a seating dispute at a Frisco track meet. Anthony, who was 17 himself at the time, has maintained the situation escalated fast and that there was no prior beef between the two teens. The case blew up nationally, partly because of the racial optics, and partly because folks felt the courtroom itself was locked down tighter than it needed to be, media access restricted, public seating limited, gag orders flying.
After sentencing, Roach didn’t stay quiet. He gave interviews, and when asked point blank whether the jury reached the right conclusion, he said, “Yeah, they did.” He also had a letter published on the Collin County government website defending how the whole process went down, calling it fair. Anthony’s new legal team, led by attorney Russell Wilson II, said that was more than enough to prove the judge had already made up his mind, and that a man who publicly co-signs a verdict shouldn’t be the one deciding whether that verdict deserves a second look.
Wilson didn’t hold back in his filing, writing, “Judge Roach’s own public statements reflect substantial personal involvement in the logistics and access decisions now at issue.” Basically saying: this man is not a neutral party no more, he’s already picked a side and told the whole city about it.
Attorney Mike Cofer, who’s been close to the case, said he had faith the system would do right by Anthony on this particular issue. “I think the judge should be recused from the motion for new trial and I have confidence that the judge presiding over the recusal is going to make the correct decision,” Cofer said heading into Wednesday’s hearing. And that confidence paid off.
Part of what made this recusal fight so real is what came out during it. The defense dropped an 18-minute video during the hearing that included audio of Roach talking about why he was so eager to take the case in the first place, describing it as a sense of duty. That kind of personal investment from a sitting judge is exactly the type of thing defense attorneys point to when they argue somebody lost their objectivity somewhere along the way.
There’s also the matter of what’s being called the “gentleman’s agreement,” reportedly a deal between prosecutors and the original defense team to keep character evidence about both Anthony and Metcalf, plus Metcalf’s twin brother Hunter, out of the trial entirely. The new legal team says that agreement got violated, and it’s expected to be a major point of contention when the motion for a new trial gets argued.
And that’s the next fight. With Roach now off the case, Thursday’s hearing on whether Anthony deserves an entirely new trial will be heard by a different, unbiased judge instead of the same one who already told reporters he thought the jury got it right. That’s a real shift. Before Wednesday, if Roach hadn’t been recused, Anthony’s team would’ve been standing in front of the same man who publicly backed the outcome they’re trying to overturn. Now they get a clean slate for that argument.
Worth remembering too, nobody on the original jury was Black, and prosecutors struck three potential Black jurors during selection. That’s been sitting in the background of this whole case since day one, and it’s part of why so many people, especially in the Black community, have been watching this so closely. This isn’t just about one judge’s comments. It’s about whether Karmelo Anthony got a fair shake from the jump.
Anthony is currently locked up at the Pack Unit near Navasota, serving his 35-year sentence while all this plays out. His family and supporters have been calling on people to show up to these hearings, peacefully, to keep eyes on the process. With the recusal now granted, the next real test comes Thursday, when the actual fight for a new trial gets argued in front of a judge who hasn’t already told the world what he thinks the outcome should be. We’ll be watching to see what happens next.