According to Wendy Williams‘ guardian, the star was “not capable of consenting” to the newly-released Lifetime documentary, ‘Where Is Wendy Williams?,’ which chronicles the former TV show host’s deteriorating mental and physical state.
RELATED: Lisa Sokoloff Who Ruled In Wendy Williams’ Guardianship Case Was Previously Investigated
More information continues to come out about the lawsuit that was filed last month that was intended to stop Lifetime’s four-hour documentary on Wendy Williams from airing. The complaint was filed by Williams’ temporary guardian Sabrina Morrissey on February 21 and its defendants are listed as A+E Television Networks and Entertainment One Reality Productions.
Since the filing and airing of the documentary, on Thursday (March 14), the records of the case were unsealed in New York State Supreme Court, per NBC News. The documents alleged that the contract A+E Networks brokered to shoot Williams’ documentary wasn’t valid as the former host did not have the legal or mental capacity to authorize her participation in the project at the time.
RELATED: Wendy Williams’ Publicist Slams New Documentary: ‘I Felt That She Was Being Exploited’
According to the court filing, Morrissey alleged that Wendy Williams “was not, and is not, capable of consenting to the terms” of the contract for filming the documentary. On February 22, Williams’ team revealed that she had been diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia and primary progressive aphasia.
The lawsuit read, “As a result of her medical condition, (Williams) lacked capacity when the Contract was purportedly executed, and she remains in that condition.” It’s reported that Williams was allegedly told that the project would be “positive and beneficial” to her image.
RELATED: Wendy Williams’ Ex Kevin Hunter Is Reportedly Demanding Two Years Of Back Divorce Payments
Additionally, despite Wendy Williams being listed as an executive producer in the documentary, her guardian claims, “Williams was, at all relevant times, incapable of managing her own business and personal affairs, and indeed, was placed into a guardianship and under the supervision of this court.”
Morrissey’s lawsuit continued, “Williams did not, and could not, approve the manner in which she was filmed and portrayed in the Trailer and documentary.” Before she ever saw the project in its entirety, Morrissey alleged, “The documentary exploits (Williams’) medical condition to portray her in a humiliating, degrading manner and in a false light.”
RELATED: Wendy Williams Facing Federal Tax Lien Due To Unpaid Taxes — Reportedly Owes Over $500k
The suit continued, “This blatant exploitation of a vulnerable woman with a serious medical condition who is beloved by millions within and outside of the African American community is disgusting, and it cannot be allowed.”
Since the unsealing of Morrissey’s court documents, a spokesperson for A+E Networks/Lifetime told The Hollywood Reporter, “We look forward to the unsealing of our papers as well, as they tell a very different story.”
#Socialites, be sure to check out the post below, then leave us your thoughts in a comment after!
View this post on Instagram