‘The Blind Side’ Family Responds To Michael Oher’s Bombshell Lawsuit: “We Couldn’t Adopt Over The Age Of 18; The Only Thing We Could Do Was To Have A Conservatorship”
On Monday, former NFL star Michael Oher shocked the world when he filed a lawsuit in a Tennessee court accusing Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy of lying to him when he signed papers making them his conservators – which he thought would also make them his adoptive parents.
Oher accused the Tuohy family of enriching themselves by “falsely and publicly” representing themselves as his adoptive parents. As many are aware, the Inspiration behind the film ‘The Blind Side’ came from Oher’s story. But now, he’s implying it was partially a lie. Not only does he want the agreement terminated but also wants compensation based on the millions earned off his name and story.
While speaking with the Daily Memphian, Sean Tuohy says the claims have “devastated” the family. Tuohy explained that the conservatorship was drawn up to ensure that Oher was eligible to play football at the University of Mississippi. He said he was a booster at the school, and noted that if Oher was not part of the family, there could’ve been possible NCAA issues. “I sat Michael down and told him, ‘If you’re planning to go to Ole Miss — or even considering Ole Miss — we think you have to be part of the family. This would do that legally,’” Tuohy said. He added,
“We contacted lawyers who had told us that we couldn’t adopt over the age of 18; the only thing we could do was to have a conservatorship. We were so concerned it was on the up-and-up that we made sure the biological mother came to court.”
Speaking more about raking in tons of money off of the film, which starred Sandra Bullockc Tuohy said, “We didn’t make any money off the movie,” Touhy said. “Well, Michael Lewis, the [author of the book on which the movie was based] gave us half of his share. Everybody in the family got an equal share, including Michael. It was about $14,000, each.”
He went on, “I will say it’s upsetting that people would think I would want to make money off any of my children,” he said.
More On The Family’s Relationship With Michael Oher
During the interview, Touhy shared that the family had been close with Michael Oher even after during his NFL career but start to get distance about a year ago.

RELATED: Michael Oher Speaks Out Revealing He Was Never Adopted & Tricked Into A Conservatorship
Touhy says despite their rocky relationship, he believes “the allegations are insulting,” Tuohy said of the suit. “But, look, it’s a crazy world. You’ve got to live in it. It’s obviously upset everybody.”