Fire At Migrant Holding Facility in Mexico Reportedly Kills 39 Men

Write Comment

On Monday, a blaze erupted in a dorm room of an immigrant holding center close to the U.S. border, leaving 39 migrants dead.

The horrific incident happened shortly before 10 p.m., according to the National Migration Institute. Sixty-eight men from Central and South America were staying at the facility, which hosts migrants who are waiting on requests for asylum in the U.S. or preparing to cross the border. 29 were also left injured following the deadly fire at the processing facility in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

RELATED:  Rapper Afroman Sued By Police For “Humiliation” After He Used Footage Of Home Raid To Make New Music Videos

As of right now, the cause of this fire is still unclear. In a statement confirming the news, the National Migration Institute said it condemns the events but didn’t offer any speculation as to their cause…

Andrea Chávez, a federal deputy for Ciudad Juárez, also tweeted about the fire early Tuesday, saying “it is with deep sadness and grief” that she learned of the tragedy. “We will wait for the official information and, from this moment on, we send our condolences to the families of the migrants,” she continued. Chávez added that Mexico’s attorney general has initiated an investigation into the fire.

Unsettling photos from the scene show body bags lined up near the fire occurred, which had been extinguished, Reuters reported a witness as saying.

Fire
Firefighters and police rescue migrants from an immigration station in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua state on March 27, 2023, where at least 39 people were killed and dozens injured after a fire at the immigration station. (Photo by HERIKA MARTINEZ / AFP) (Photo by HERIKA MARTINEZ/AFP via Getty Images)

Monday’s blaze is one of the worst in recent years in Mexico, which has seen record levels of crossings at its border with the US.

Fire
Viangly, a Venezuelan migrant, cries next to an ambulance in which her husband, who was injured in a fire, is being transported following a fire at the immigration station in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua state on March 28, 2023, where at least 39 people were killed and dozens injured after a fire at the immigration station. (Photo by HERIKA MARTINEZ / AFP) (Photo by HERIKA MARTINEZ/AFP via Getty Images)

HEARTBREAKING UPDATE: Per the Associated Press, Mexico’s president says the fire at a Mexican immigration facility at the U.S. border that killed 39 migrants was actually started by migrants who set mattresses ablaze in protest after learning they would be deported.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador called the incident unfortunate and said the director of country’s immigration agency was currently on the scene.

RELATED: Police Brutality Suspected In Death Of Ex-NFL Player Stanley Wilson Jr.; His Family’s Attorney Is Seeking Damages In Excess Of $45 Million

“They never imagined that this would cause this terrible misfortune,” López Obrador said via Associated Press.

We will continue to keep you updated as this story develops.

Leave a Comment